Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"It's a big ol' cake and I can't tell if I can have it and eat it too."

I don't have anything to say really. Well, quite honestly I have a lot of great eavesdropping stories...but I can't talk about them here...but I'll just tell you this...after 7 months I have found out that one of my coworkers has a girlfriend. He is the Ron Swanson of the office...very mysterious...doesn't like you all up in his bid-ness, if you will....but he talks on the phone really loudly and I told him from the start - if he's going to talk that loud I'm going to be all up in his bid-ness. He handles it well...he will hangup the phone and yell across the hall, "So who do you think that was?...That was a weeeird phone call." And I'll let out a sigh of relief that he agrees it was a weird phone call and yell back, "Ok - I couldn't tell if it was a good family friend that you've maybe known for a while or your girlfriend or what." He'll applaud me for my good effort and get back to work.

Moving on...I came across this picture & article today and it left me speechless:


This boy and his dad were there for the first launch in '81 and for the last launch on July 8. My grandparents took my cousin and I to visit NASA in Cape Canaveral, FL when we were 13 and a love for space exploration has been burned into my soul. It's truly unreal to stand and look at a replica of a shuttle...to see how big the external fuel tank really is...to know if a single screw is not tightened properly that the whole thing could blow --- it's amazing.

I'll leave you with this...I was talking to a friend today and he was talking about life and about how he really enjoys where he is but doesn't know if he will get to stay in the same location. And then he said, "It's a big ol' cake and I can't tell if I can have it and eat it too." He knew I would understand that analogy because of how much I love food. But what he was really saying is that there is this thing in front of him that he loves...but he doesn't know how long it will last and if he will really get to partake of all that he sees in front of him because things always seem to be changing....and his sentence has really stayed with me. I hope it's meaningful to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment