Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Whatever, I saw you wearing a visor doing yoga in the backyard last week."

Two words: singles. mixer. Yes - when you and your coworker decide on a Friday morning that "being yourself" at a singles mixer on Saturday night sounds like a GREAT idea...do yourself a favor and don't RSVP. So this is the story of me and two of my friends. One is a guy and one is a girl. The guy recieved an invitation to a singles mixer through his roommate's place of work but said roommate could not go because she is not single. So the guy convinced me and my friend to go.  We all decide it would be so fun - we wouldn' try - we wouldn't be nervous - we would just be ourselves and make it fun. This is all great in theory. I picked up the guy first on Saturday night and he had a look of dread on his face while holding a drink. He looked at me and said, "I dont want to do this, I've already started drinking." This was a relief to me as I hadn't been able to eat and felt nervous all afternoon. So then we picked up our friend and she was wearing the cutest white summer dress holding a bottle of wine. She got in the car and said, "Guys - I haven't been able to do anything all day...I've already had two glass of wine." We were clearly in great company. So we parked downtown and walked to what we believed to be the location of this singles mixer. Unfortunately, there are three condos owned by the same group that are all named the same thing located within about 3 blocks of each other. There was a guy in the lobby of the first building we walked into trying to get up to the party. I quickly realized he was trying to get to the same place we were. From his accent I could also tell he was not from the U.S. We all introduced ourselves and found out he was from Greece.  He spent most of the time talking on the phone to someone attempting to explain that he was clearly in the wrong place and yelling in the phone "No...street as in streeeeeet. Street as in streeeeeeet." The girl and I were leaning against the wall laughing nervously. Then another guy walked in that looked like he had just gotten off of the trail (showered but in all of his REI gear) and he was in his 40's. Awwweeesooome. Anyways - through a series of events we found the correct place and it was an AMAZING condo --- on the top floor of the building with a wrap around balcony on the corner of the building with a great view. The breeze was nice that night and there were two garage door like windows that opened to the outside. We mingled with people then met our favorite person of the night: John. See below.


 
Now look closely. Those are kitty cats...not wolves. And he was also wearing a fanny pack. He was a genuinely nice guy that was an "urban farmer." I mean...he really is an urban farmer. This conversation started out with an argument about how fresh eggs are the BEST thing in the entire world. A fresh fried egg will LITERALLY change your life. Lots of yelling commenced over whether or not you could actually poach an egg.  In the meantime our guy friend was trying to keep from vomitting all over us as he cannot stand eggs -- although he didn't show it during the conversation. The next thing we discussed: aquaponics...the use of catfish poop to hydrate the land in the midst of a drought. (These things really happened.) Other things discovered: the difference between urban farming and rural farming is that urban farming is just farming on a smaller scale. ..... ... .... ... You dooooon't say?!?
 
While talking to the guy wearing the wolf shirt about his fanny pack, John's roommate Ricky, who was also there ran back into the conversation and said, "I JUST TRADED A FEW EGGS FOR A FREE HAIRCUT!!!" This somehow led to a discussion about John wearing a visor a lot. Ricky apparently hates the visor and thinks it's about as on par with John's practice of yoga to which John replied, "Whatever, I saw you wearing a visor doing yoga in the backyard last week." Once that sentence was uttered I knew I had the title of my next blog post. The rest of the mixer was mostly like the beginning.
 
My friends and I left after about two hours of being at the party...we then went to a nice outside casual bar and proceeded to eat queso and discuss the following items: the amazing, awesome, infallible document that is the US Constitution, George Washington, George Washington's teeth, George Washington's death, George Washington's REAL death, was George Washington a freemason?, George Washington's SECOND marriage to Martha, Israel, religion, the book of Revelation, the UN, the IMF...and Obama. My friend said she woke up and said, "Did we really discuss how awesome the US Constitution is for that long?"

Yes. Yes we did. I will now leave you with a quote that she sent me that sums up our night of singles mixers and amazing conversations:
 

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment